Thursday, October 30, 2014

Links from a week in bed

This post is just a short link dump.

I've been home sick with some never-ending flu for the last week. Adding cabin fever to the actual fever, I got a bit stir crazy and decided to look for some interesting "homework" to offer some mental gymnastics to take the edge off shuffling between the bed and the TV couch day in and day out.

So here's a curated list of links that kept me busy.

---

I decided to pick up C++11, since my grasp of the new standard is all too superficial. Especially what is promised in the title, that is rvalue references, std::move, and std::forward. I consulted google, but the answers I received were so contradictory I decided to ask the C++ google+ group instead. The replies received were of much higher quality:

Anyway, the links were so good I decided I should share them with the world. They made a world of difference. I highly recommend them to anyone with the same general sense of bewilderment I used to have.

---

Sticking to c++, I've recently decided CxxTest to be my new favorite testing framework for the language. Its code generation based approach is by far the least painless way of implementing unit tests in the language I've encountered.  This was before i got sick, but it makes the list anyway, as it's on my mental radar :-)

---

From a former classmate's feed on facebook, I discovered this webgl-based fluid simulator. What's possible in web browsers has really changed in the last couple of years. Heck, It wasn't even that long ago that simple javascript-based snowflakes boggled the mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment