Friday, February 25, 2011

Superfluous computer ventilation

My old workstation has been re-assigned to server duty, but unfortunately, it is quite noisy. For a while I've considered various ways of reducing the noise. I tried cleaning the fans up a bit, which reduced the noise a lot, but you could still hear it across my apartment.

During cleaning, I noticed that one of the fans contributed the bulk of the noise (as I ran case less for a moment, forcing me to unplug that particular fan.) So I thought, maybe I should replace it? Fans aren't terribly expensive.

But then I started thinking, maybe I don't need it? It is after all a headless computer, and the GPU is one of the big culprits when it comes to generating heat. So I unplugged it and ran a load test (first 100% cpu on both cores, and next 100% cpu + heavy disk load).

For a moment, my heart was racing as I watched the temperatures rise in a nearly vertical incline on the plot. But then they started to settle. ... at around 50 C. Very nice. I don't think I actually need to replace the fan. It'll just stay unplugged. Unfortunately, this was not the unidentified bad fan that starts making a racket every couple of hours until you apply a spot of percussive maintenance to it to quiet it down.

I attached the load test data to the post for reference.

3 comments:

  1. I really like the way you solve your problem your workstation's problem. You done the right things. The use of the concept mentioned in this post quite innovative. It saves your money. Thanks for sharing this idea with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic weblog report with this issue,I am not too long ago in the website twice right now.I simply needed to declare hi plus indicate this thanks for the information offered.ilmanvaihto puhdistus

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish to many thanks for this specific helpful understand; I really enjoy revealing this brilliant. I will give back once more. Many thanks..!!ilmanvaihto puhdistus

    ReplyDelete